This information is intended for people researching their family history in the village of Osmington. The parish records began in 1678.
St Osmund's church is the only church in Osmington, Dorset (United Kingdom) and dates from 1170 AD. The building has been altered on a number of occasions over the last eight hundred years, with substantial rebuilding in 1846.
The churchyard is accessed via a covered gate with graves on the left hand side of the main path. The path leads to the church entrance on the left of the building. More graves are located in front of the church, including an area for cremations and at the rear are more recent burials.
It is also believed that graves for 17th Century non conformists (anabaptists) are located in the garden of the Old vicarage (now privately owned) in a strip of open land between the vicarage and the church. These are unmarked and their existence is a matter of opinion.
Marked on maps of the churchyard are the ruins of the Manor House. From looking at the foundations these are of a small dwelling, rather than a large manor.
See churchyard map for more details.